Determining the Query Execution Plan (QEP) of an SQL statement is the primary analysis tool for DBAs. Understanding how to interpret the information from the EXPLAIN command and what additional commands and tools exist to add supplementary information are essential skills that will be used daily in production operations.
The MySQL EXPLAIN QEP is significantly different from an Oracle QEP and Oracle DBAs need to understand and learn the most appropriate way to understand and navigate this information to effective performance tune a running MySQL environment.
In this presentation we will cover the following:
- EXPLAIN & EXPLAIN EXTENDED Syntax
- Additional commands including SHOW CREATE TABLE, SHOW INDEXES and ANALYZE TABLE
- MySQL Primary Key, Unique Index, different Index Types and Index Cardinality specifics
- Understand how different Storage Engines affect the QEP
- The impact of multi-column indexes, partial indexes and covering indexes
Presenter: Ronald Bradford